Updated: May 26
Total Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Total Cook Time: 30 Minutes
This pasta dish is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner at home. Cooking the penne with the chicken in stock gives the pasta a whole new flavor while the burst of blistered tomatoes in every bite gives the creamy dish some much-needed freshness.
This dish can be modified with whatever spices you have and the asparagus can also be switched with brussels sprouts, kale, broccolini, or any other stocky green vegetable, based on seasonality.
8 oz Dried Semolina Flour Penne Pasta
1/2 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Garlic,
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Quart Chicken Stock
1 Cup Half and Half or Heavy Cream
1 Tablespoon Dried Chilli Pepper Flakes
2 Teaspoons Mild Paprika
1 pint Cherry Tomato
1/2 a bundle of Asparagus, chopped
3/4 cup parmesan, shaved
1. Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit
2. Cut the chicken into thin slices and place in a ziplock bag with 2 Tablespoon Olive oil, 1 Tablespoon garlic, 2 teaspoons salt. Coat the chicken and tenderize with a mallet. Let chicken marinate for 30+ minutes.
3. Heat a large pan with 2 Tablespoons olive oil on medium-high heat. Cook chicken on all sides.
4. Turn heat to medium. Add pasta into the pan, pour in chicken stock and add chili flakes and paprika. Cover pan with lid and cook until the stock is almost completely absorbed and pasta is al dente.
5. While the pasta and chicken cook, mix tomatoes and asparagus with olive oil, salt, paprika, and chili flakes, place evenly in a baking sheet and bake at 400° until asparagus is tender and bright green and tomatoes are blistered.
6. Pour Half and Half into the chicken and pasta and add 1/2 cup of parmesan, stir until the sauce thickens and cheese is melted. stir in 3/4 of the asparagus and blistered tomatoes, season sauce to taste.
7. sprinkle the remainder of the vegetables and parmesan on top of the pasta, cover with a lid or place back in the oven if using an oven-safe pan until cheese is melted.