Total Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Serves 4-5 as a side
It's hard to believe it, but summer is nearly here. It may look a little different than other summers, with smaller barbeques and solitary trips to the river. But there will still be things like watermelon, chicken doused in sticky sauces, and of course - there will still be mac salad. In fact, there will probably be a lot more macaroni salad now that you don't have to share it with everyone.
Mac salad is something that sounds gross when you describe it, it feels wrong when you are making it, but if done right it tastes so good. A good mac salad in my mind should be equal parts crunchy, creamy, acidic, and savory with a tiny bit of sweetness. This salad gets its crunch from celery and onion, its acidity from the vinegar, its savouriness from roasted broccoli bits, which are really the star. and a few tricks that make this sauce creamy, spicy, and a little sweet.
3 Cups Curvy Macaroni
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 head Broccoli, chopped small
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili flakes
3/4 cup onion (about one medium onion), chopped
3/4 cup celery (about 2-3 stalks), chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 teaspoons buffalo sauce
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon honey
1. To make the pasta, heat a heavily salted pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta for 9-10 minutes, or until al dente, drain. While the pasta is still warm, mix apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil in with the pasta. set aside until room temp.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix broccoli and garlic together in a bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Lay thin on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. the broccoli should be nicely browned. remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temp.
3. In a large bowl, combine pasta, broccoli mix, onion, celery, and cilantro.
4. In a smaller bowl, combine mayonnaise, buffalo sauce, pepper, salt, and honey. mix well. Pour sauce in with the pasta mix. more as needed.
5. Cover your pasta salad and let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour, but feel free to let it sit for up to 12. top with a few cilantro leaves and enjoy!