Updated: May 26, 2020
Total Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Total Cook Time: 60 Minutes
Lasagna can always seem complicated with its alternating layers all requiring preparation. Like any lasagna, this recipe can seem daunting at first but only takes about twenty minutes to set up for assembly and about twenty minutes for actual assembly. We use eggplant and zucchini slices for two of the layers, making this lighter than the average lasagna while the gluten-free lasagna sheets give an indulgent pasta bite. the combination of Mama Lils and spicy pork makes for a nice, spicy-sweet twist.
6oz Fresh Gluten-Free Lasagna Sheets (Half a Package)
1/2 medium eggplant, sliced thin
1 large Zucchini, sliced thin
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Tbs Garlic
1/2 onion, Roughly Chopped
1/2 lbs Spicy Pork
1 Can Tomato Sauce, unseasoned
1 Can Diced Tomato, Drained
1 tsp Chili Flakes
15 oz Ricotta
2 Egg Yolks
1 cup parmesan
1/4 cup Basil, Roughly Chopped
1/2 Lemon or 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
Mama Lils peppers
8 oz Fresh Mozzarella, Sliced
Basil leaves, Roughly Chopped
1. Preheat oven at 375 F
2. To make the tomato layer, satay 1/2 onion, and 1 Tbsp garlic in olive oil on medium heat until onion is translucent. Add spicy pork and satay till cooked through.
3. Add Tomato Sauce, Diced Tomato, Chili Flakes and salt. Lower heat to medium-low and allow to slow cook for at least 20 minutes
4. To make the pasta layers, heat a pot of water with salt and oil to boil. Cook the lasagna sheets for 5 minutes, or until al dente. Strain carefully, saving the pasta water, and place in a large pot, coat again with oil quickly so that the sheets do not stick together.
5. In the same pasta water, Add eggplant slices for 3-4 minutes until almost cooked through, strain carefully, saving the pasta water and stack with the lasagna sheets.
6. Add zucchini slices in the same pasta water for 2 minutes until almost cooked through, strain fully and stack with Lasagna and eggplant sheets.
7. To make our cheese layer, add Ricotta to a large bowl. add 2 egg yolks, 1 cup parmesan, 1/4 cup basil, and lemon juice, mix until well combined
Spread a small amount of the Tomato Layer
Place a layer of Gluten-Free Lasagna Sheets
Spread a larger amount of the Tomato Layer (About half)
Place a layer of Zucchini slices, this should be the whole zucchini
Spread half the Ricotta Layer
Place Mozzarella, Basil, and Peppers in rows on top of the Ricotta layer
Place a layer of Eggplant slices, this should be the entirety of the eggplant
Spread the remaining Tomato layer on top of the eggplant
Place the last layer of Gluten-Free Lasagna Sheet
Spread the remaining ricotta layer on the lasagna sheets
Place peppers and basil on top, save some basil to sprinkle on fresh
9. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Take the foil off and place the remaining mozzarella on top of the lasagna.
10. Increase the heat to 400 F. Bake for 45 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.
11. Top with fresh basil, and enjoy!