Total Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Total Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Question: Is there anything better than a big slab of mozzarella? Answer: Yes, but only if it has melty mozzarella on top. We made a Fussili broccoli sauce pasta bake this week with melting mozzarella. In a collaboration with Azure Standard, we made a whole wheat fusilli that can be found on their website.
Quality in flour makes a huge difference in any pasta we make, but it especially makes a difference in whole wheat pasta. We’re using a highly elastic flour without sharp bits of bran to puncture the dough. This means pasta is more tender and delicious while still having the nutrition of whole grain. Whichever style pasta you have, this pasta bake will taste amazing on a cloudy spring day.
I made this with a quick miso chicken recipe, cut and mixed in with the noodles. You can substitute that with whatever you have on hand. Miso paste is a surprisingly useful pantry item that we would definitely recommend having in your wheelhouse. But any well-seasoned piece of chicken will do just fine for this recipe.
For the Chicken
1-2 Pieces Chicken Breast, boneless skinless
2 tsp black miso paste
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
For the Broccoli Sauce
2 Florets Broccoli, chopped
3/4 cups chicken or veggie stock
8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup basil, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tsp black miso paste
For the pasta
8 oz Fusilli Pasta
6 oz Fresh Mozzarella, cut in rounds
Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit
1. Coat the chicken pieces in miso paste, salt, and pepper. Add olive oil to a frying pan set to medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the pan and cook through, remove from heat. Once the chicken is cool enough, roughly chop and set chicken aside.
2. To make the broccoli sauce add chopped broccoli, stock, garlic, and onion to a pot or a pan with high edges. Simmer in the pot for 20 minutes or so, until the broccoli is falling apart if pressed with a spoon. Mash the vegetables down with the backside of a spoon or a potato masher, it should be enough that the mixture looks like a chunky sauce. Add basil, red pepper flakes, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer on low till you are ready to assemble.
3. To make the pasta, heat a heavily salted pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta for 9-10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, leaving some excess pasta water if the broccoli sauce needs some liquid
4. In a large bowl, combine pasta, chicken, and sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour the mixture into an 8x8 baking pan. Lay mozzarella on top.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and slightly brown on the edges.
7. Serve immediately, for premium cheese-pull action
Get Whole Wheat Fussili Pasta at Azure Flours Website. Or look at our shop for the Pasta of the Week!